The National Association of Home Builders’ (NAHB)/Builders Mutual Insurance Company Safety Award for Excellence (SAFE) was presented to 13 home builders, remodelers, home builders’ associations and other members of the home building industry on Jan. 21, 2013 in Las Vegas.
Presented at the International Builders’ Show, the SAFE program recognizes NAHB member companies, workers and other individuals for their safety programs.
"The winners of the SAFE Awards exemplify a superior commitment to safe work practices," said NAHB Chairman Barry Rutenberg, a home builder from Gainesville, Fla. "Not only have they implemented high qualify construction safety programs, but they have also made significant efforts to advance safety in the home building industry, and we are proud to recognize them for this important work."
The programs honored this year include:
- Associate Member Safety Program of the Year: Chris Lumber Co. Inc., Ballston Spa, N.Y.
- NAHB Safety Professional of the Year: Steve Dean, vice president of Homebuilding Operations for Ryland Homes—Indianapolis Division, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Innovative Safety Program/Idea of the Year: NRP Group, Cleveland, Ohio
- Single-Family Builders Safety Program of the Year (fewer than 10 home starts per year): Sea-Dar Homes, Boston
- Single-Family Builders Safety Program of the Year (more than 100 home starts, but fewer than 500): Essex Homes, SE, Lexington, S.C.
- Remodeler Safety Program of the Year (fewer than 50 employees): Irons Brothers Construction Inc., Shoreline, Wash.; Riggs Construction & Design, Kirkwood, Mo.
- Remodeler Safety Program of the Year (more than 50 employees): Alan Shintani Inc., Waipahu, Hawaii
- NAHB-Affiliated Association Safety Program of the Year: Wichita Area Builders Association, Wichita, Kan.
- Specialty Trade Contractor Safety Program of the Year (fewer than 50 employees): Custom Home Exteriors/CHE Home Renovations, Raleigh, N.C.
- Specialty Trade Contractor Safety Program of the Year (more than 50 employees): Vance Johnson Plumbing Fayetteville, N.C.
- Multifamily Safety Program of the Year: NRP Group Cleveland, Ohio
- Light Commercial Construction Safety Program of the Year (fewer than 50 employees): Cobb Hill Construction, Inc. Concord, N.H.